Dear Tribal community,
The COVID-19 Omicron variant is spiking throughout the whole country. Although most cases are milder than from the Delta variant, emergency room beds are filling up, and many of the patients are unvaccinated. Positive cases have increased significantly at PTHA. We expect the increase to be temporary, but we will not wait to protect our most vulnerable people.
- Chief Leschi Schools is temporarily moving to remote learning beginning Wednesday. Families will get details directly from the school.
- Tribal Administration is rolling back to Phase 2 starting Wednesday. We will stay in Phase 2 at least until the end of January.
These measures are temporary, and you WILL CONTINUE to have access to services. Please see the graphic at the top of this message for the requirements. Here are some key points:
- Community members should try to complete appointments virtually. If they absolutely need to visit an Admin building, they must make an appointment. All visitors must be able to provide proof of vaccination.
- No more than 50 percent of employees should be working in the office. Teleworking is strongly encouraged. If you have an appointment and need to reach a department or program by email or phone, visit the Tribe’s directory.
- Events can take place inside, with no more than 50 percent capacity.
- Virtual training is allowed. In-person training is not. Essential travel is allowed for vaccinated employees.
- Unvaccinated employees need to continue weekly testing.
Omicron: What we know, how to protect against it
The Omicron variant spreads fast. Learn more about it from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through this link. The CDC says vaccines remain the BEST public health measure to protect people from COVID-19, slow transmission and reduce the likelihood of new variants. It recommends booster shots for everyone 18 or older.
Unvaccinated employees need to continue weekly testing. And if you haven’t been vaccinated: Remember we have a $500 incentive program available for Tribal Members.
THANK YOU to everyone in the community who has gotten vaccinated, masked up and followed other safety measures. You are protecting your community.
Our COVID-19 Response Team meets every week, and we will continue to give you regular updates.
haʔɫ kʷ(i) adsəslabcəbut. Watch over yourselves well.
Your Puyallup Tribal Council