By Puyallup Tribal News staff
With government and health officials requiring people to practice social distancing, here are some activities you can do without leaving home.
- Learn Twulshootseed, the language of the Puyallup people. The Language Program is pumped full of resources to help you learn. http://puyalluptriballanguage.org/
- Learn to weave a cedar headband. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfewMW50u3k or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAHYAfzCok
- Make huckleberry jam. If you don’t have any huckleberries in your freezer, use berries you have in your house or can find at the store. If the task seems daunting, watch some videos about it on YouTube and sign up for the Culture Program’s next class, which will be announced at a later date.
- Share your medicine by singing, drumming, rattling and use the hashtag #SHAREYOURMEDICINE to be featured on the tribe’s Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/PuyallupTribeOfIndians
- Take some time to practice and learn about the traditional Coast Salish art form from Puyallup Tribal member Shaun Peterson in this tutorial video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHNyktK4EqA